Friday, January 27, 2012

Our Adventure of January 18th

Our adventure really started Monday January 16th at about 10:30 pm, even though we didn't really now it. Kristoffer is really such a wonderful little man and doesn't ever cry unless he is hungry or tired, but Monday night he started crying at about 10:30 pm and didn't stop until about 3:00 am. Our first thought was NOOOOOO our perfect man is starting to cry randomly! Well the rest of the night went great and the following day too was awesome. We thought it was just a random cry (everyone deserves to have random cries right?)

Tuesday night it was 10:00 pm and Kristoffer was fast asleep so Taylor and I decided that it would be a good idea for us to call it a night early since we didn't get as much sleep the night before. We were laying in bed trying to fall asleep and at about 10:30 Kristoffer wakes up screaming, SUPER SUPER  congested, and coughing. I tried feeding him, wouldn't eat. So I thought maybe he was just upset about having a dirty diaper... 

So I started to change his diaper and Kristoffer is really doesn't like having his pants changed but this time it wasn't his normal crying. He was screaming like he was in pain, then all of a sudden he just stopped breathing. Although it was only for a few seconds it honestly felt like minutes. I start screaming for Taylor, pick up my naked little man, start patting his back, and of course start crying. Then he starts to breath again. After holding him for a few minutes I finished changing his diaper and then didn't put him down. 

After that the rest of the night just kinda consisted of crying, not being able to sleep, not eating well, and more crying. The little bit that he did sleep it had to be in my arms (which I'm not gonna lie, I really enjoyed. I love that my little man just needs me!) 

Taylor and I decided that it would be a good idea for us to go see the doctor to make sure everything is okay. I called and got an appointment that day at 5:00pm. Taylor had work so I was gonna have to go to this appointment solo. Dr. Glade wasn't in the office that day so we went to see another doctor, Dr. Connor. When we got to our appointment I pulled Kristoffer out of his car seat and he was sounding so much better. I said to myself, of course you sound better now! Dr. Connor came in and she was so wonderful and really made us feel very comfortable. She said he definitely sounded very congested and I was like hmmm well this was actually pretty normal for him. I explained our night to her and she said that she was pretty concerned especially because he was only a few days over 2 weeks old. She said that we could get his nose suctioned out and if that doesn't fix his congestion we could admit him to the pediatrics at the hospital for the night to just have him watched. 

I called Taylor and told him everything and that I was on my way to the hospital to get his nose suctioned out. I told him about what happened at the doctors and about being admitted to the hospital if needed. Now if you know me you can probably imagine how I was explaining this to Taylor, but to be honest I was really proud of how calm I was being on the outside compared to the way I was reacting on the inside!

After Taylor and I talked he decided that he was going get someone to go into work so he could leave and come be with us.

Long story short after getting Kristoffer suctioned out he still sounded pretty bad and the nurse lady said that she had never seen so much stuff come out of such a little guy. This didn't at all worry me! We went home and I called Dr. Connor after talking to her and then talking to Taylor it was decided that we would go to the hospital for the night.

We got there at about 10:00pm and they got him all hooked up to the monitors. They would come and check on him every few hours and suction him out about every 4 hours.

When morning came the doctor came in to talk to us about how he was doing and about going home! Which we were very excited for. He said that he was doing pretty good and that we should be able to leave. As he is talking to us he is also looking at his computer and in the middle of one of his sentences he stops and says, "huh.. well never mind.." What do you mean never mind? He then went on to explain that it turns out that Kristoffer has a virus. It is very similar to RSV, called Menonoma virus (don't think thats how it is really spelled but oh well!) with this virus days 3 and 4 are the worst and we were on day 3 so he could still potentially get worse. Because of this he said that would would need to stay another night.

Later that day I had to go to an eye appointment. Luckily it was at the hospital so I wasn't having to go too far. While I was at my appointment Taylor called and said that they were going to be putting him on oxygen because his numbers had been dropping. {of course this had to happen while I was gone!} So when I got back my little guy had a little oxygen tube attached to his face. My heart just broke! After that things were pretty quite. They would check in him every few hours and suction his nose at least every 4 hours.

The next morning the doctor came in and said the Kristoffer had been doing great. He said that they were going to take him off the oxygen and if he did okay for 6 hours we could go home! So 5:30 was the magic number and you better believe we were counting down the hours!

Taylor ended having to leave for work at 2:30 so I was left to pack up and get Kristoffer home. Needles to say we made it to 5:30 and were able to go home!

Since then we have had to go back to the hospital at least once a day and get him suctioned out but we are definitely on the rode to a great recovery!


Thank you so much for all the prayers and kind words!


His adorable baby hospital gown!

Dressed ready to go home
Yay we made it :)



Till Next Time!



No comments:

Post a Comment